Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Pigs, Lipstick, and the People Who Give a Shit

The big story on Twitter and on blogs today seems to be this bullshit about the McCain camp claiming that Obama owes Sarah Palin an apology for a comment he made.

Here's what happened - Obama made a speech and that speech is as follows:

“John McCain says he’s about change, too – except for economic policy, health care policy, tax policy, education policy, foreign policy and Karl Rove-style politics,” Mr. Obama said. “That’s not change. That’s just calling the same thing something different. You can put lipstick on a pig – it’s still a pig.”
Here's what the McCain camp did:

Demand that Obama apologize for calling Sarah Palin a pig in lipstick.

What? WHAT???

Fuck you, John McCain. Fuck. You.

I know that's crass and extreme, but seriously. Go fuck yourself if this is how you're going to play this one, Mr. McCain. I am currently trying very hard to save money to move into my own apartment in November, but all I want to do every time the McCain-Palin campaign pulls this kind of elementary bullshit is fling another $25 at the Obama-Biden campaign. The complete travesty of the situation is that so many people aren't going to look into this. They are going to take McCain's claims at face value and go off into a voting booth thinking that Obama called Palin a fucking pig.

Here, Obama responds to this thrill-ride into hell that McCain's people are strapping us into. And for a really excellent outcry against this, visit Andrew Sullivan's here.

Obama didn't even mention Palin's name anywhere in the vicinity of that colloquialism. It is a phrase that implies dressing something undesirable up to try to pass it off as new. It was a policy criticism, which McCain seemed to understand just fine back in 2007 when he used the exact same phrase to describe Hillary Clinton's health plan. And did Hillary Clinton try to make this an outrage about sexism? Of course not. Because it's a smoke screen damnit. This isn't real! This isn't remotely a real thing! John Moe, of Weekend America on NPR and the author of Conservatize Me, had this to say on Twitter:

"Guy 1: Didja HEAR?! Obama lipstick pig Palin mad WOW! Guy 2: I don't have time for this right now, my house is being foreclosed upon."

And, like John Moe, I know that the best thing to do is realize that this is just a distraction and move on. But it's just so ridiculous and insulting.

Last night I went to Comedy Death Ray at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre and saw David Koechner (IMDB page here) do the most amazing bit of character stand up I've ever seen in my life, as a character named Red Meat - a Republican speaker who told us to shut up, stay at home, and let the party take us into endless war. It was hilarious, but it was also a grave, intense call to arms for thinking people. It was literally awe-inspiring. I can't fully explain how intimidating and fucking real it got, but I urge you to seek it out and watch him do this character.

Maybe I was wrong when I stated in an earlier entry that we all need to calm down. Maybe we're not angry enough. I think that instead, we all need to watch Network and then take to the streets, screaming.

2 comments:

Philip Bertulfo said...

What I like about Obama is that he's the first politician I've seen that seems like he's actively trying to raise the level of discourse in our country. I mean, that's what his entire goddamn political philosophy is, and honestly, not since Team Of Rivals have I heard of anything so thoroughly fair. I badly, badly want that guy to win, but even if he doesn't, I think he's put a significant dent in those shit-eating Rove-style politics.

Also, did I tell you my fiancée went to Springfield to the Obama rally where he presented Biden as his runningmate for the first time? That's right: I said "fiancée."

-phil

Lindsay Evelyn said...

Laura let that slip at Drew's end of summer party and I about had a fainting spell. I can't believe I forgot to bring it up with you. Congratulations.

I demand to be at the wedding.