Friday, September 26, 2008

I Told You So

There's no way to say any of this without being a total dick. I'm doing it anyway. Because the Internet is validating me, to the point where I'm full enough of myself to write a celebratory blog entry about it.

I said this of Sarah Palin nearly two weeks ago:
"Have you ever seen a politician speak with so little mastery of their native language? Even Bush looks good compared to this. He would use wrong words and made up words, but at least sentences came out."
[...]
"You know what your speaking style is like, lady? It's like a 15-year-old kid trying to write her first high school English paper. But there's a word count she has to reach, so she's littering words all over the fucking place. Words she thinks sound very grown up and thoughtful, but really they just muddy the whole thing and make her thesis nearly impossible to suss out. Oh, and she probably didn't read the book. I'd just as soon elect my tenth grade paper on Tess of the d'Ubervilles to the Vice Presidency as I would Sarah Palin."
[...]
"You're [Sarah Palin] like a slot machine, spinning around with crazy talking points and catchphrases and the word 'family' and 'January 20' and 'Islamic extremists.' And who knows WHAT is going to come out of your mouth when we pull the sidearm."
Suddenly, yesterday and today, here comes what would appear to be the entirety of the internet, eleven days late to my language rant.

From Beliefnet.net yesterday:
"I remember the morning I woke up in my college dorm room and went in to take my final exam in my Formal Logic class. I knew I was unready. Massively unready. And now I was going to be put to the ultimate test. I sat down in Dr. Sarkar's class and resolved to wing it. Of course I failed the exam and failed the class, because I had no idea what I was talking about. I wasn't a bad kid, or even a stupid kid. I was just badly unprepared, and in way over my head. Seeing the Palin interview on CBS, I thought of myself in Dr. Sarkar's exam. But see, I was a college undergraduate who had the chance to take the class again, which I did, and passed (barely). I wasn't running for vice president of the United States."
Matthew Baldwin on Twitter yesterday:
"Palin's recent statements: it's like she has an internal library of talking points but was accidentally left on 'shuffle mode'." about 19 hours ago from web
From Andrew Sullivan yesterday:
"Well, the words were all in English, and in groups of two or three they fit together, but that's the best I can say about it. I especially 'liked' this part:

'reducing taxes ... has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans'

Those aren't talking points; they're babbling points."
And again from Andrew Sullivan, also yesterday:
"The Couric interview reminded me of an episode in the 5th grade when I tried to fake my way through an oral presentation on a book I hadn’t read. Neither of us pulled it off."
You know what's even better than the fact that these Andrew Sullivan readers are saying the same thing I was saying two weeks ago? The fact that I sent Andrew Sullivan this e-mail the same day I wrote that entry:
"You know what I would like to see people talking about? Sarah Palin's complete ineptitude at forming a sentence during her ABC interview. That was what struck me in watching the clips and reading the transcripts. There are very few sentences that make a whole lot of sense. Charlie Gibson mentioned once that he got lost in a "blizzard of words," but it was consistent throughout [...]"
And I felt like I was going crazy. I was thinking to myself on a daily basis - why do I seem to be the only one who noticed that she isn't speaking English? And now here you all are.

Even my friend David, today:
"In the last few weeks, we have had to come to terms with a new and more advanced type of linguistic trainwreck, in the shape of Sarah Palin. Palin doesn't seem to be a species of nitwit--indeed, her responses to questions are so excessively incoherent that the entire exchange barely qualifies as an act of human communication."
Yep. Welcome to the party, Internet.

No comments: