Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Job = Great

My temp job has the following perks:

- 2 exceptionally sane, delightful female supervisors (my only co-workers) who constantly thank me for the 10 minutes of work I do a day

- free coffee AND hot chocolate in the break room, allowing me to create what I have dubbed "Nakatomi Mochas"

- occasional free BBQs and free In-N-Out and Donut days

- re-read above in case you didn't really take that in the first time

- the privilege of getting off two hours early just because I asked AND they did not even ask me why. I said, "May I leave work at 4pm today?" and they said, "Sure!"

- the privilege of taking three days off to go to New York for the Del Close Marathon (and not only did they IMMEDIATELY say it was fine, but the VP of the department keeps saying, "Oh, you're so lucky. I love New York." and "I know you're going to have the best time!" and "You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back!")

- re-read the above in case you didn't really take that in the first time: immediate approval + excitement on my behalf (SHE IS MORE EXCITED ABOUT IT THAN I AM)

I've had some real asshole bosses in the past. Like the guy who didn't want to let me take my lawfully allotted 10 minute break because he, for some completely unsubstantiated reason, didn't think I was going to come back. Or the guy who fabricated entire conversations in which I threatened him, and would then tell anyone within earshot about these imaginary exchanges.

So really, I want to dance around the office and fling glitter all about and hug them every day, so happy am I about having these even-tempered, kind employers.

Just now the VP left for the day saying, "I'll be thinking of you!" So I said, "Thank you for being so flexible about letting me go." To which she replied, "Oh, no! Thank YOU for sitting there doing nothing every day!"

Bless her.

2 comments:

Erin C. said...

Feel free to contact me if you have down time in NYC and want to get a drink!

Bonnie said...

FREE in n' out?? Screw this horse shit, I'ma coming back and hanging out in your lunch room.