Sunday, April 01, 2007

Why I Will Not Be Watching Showtime's "The Tudors"

Reason the First: Gross Miscasting

Call me crazy, but I think casting Jonathan Rhys Meyers as King Henry VIII is one of the worst and most ill-advised casting choices I've heard of since the ABC movie The Audrey Hepburn Story forced me to watch the charmless Jennifer Love Hewitt and her forehead, both of whom I have despised since their days on Kids Incorporated, play the beloved Ms. Hepburn. Plus, both actors have three names. This cannot be a coincidence.

Besides my enduring dislike of Mr. Meyers in general, a dislike which was perhaps forever cemented by the despicable movie Match Point (sorry Woody Allen), I offer the more rational reason for disliking the casting choice below.

King Henry VIII


Jonathan Rhys Meyers as King Henry VIII


Are you kidding me, Showtime? Are you motherfucking kidding me? You seriously want me to watch this show, when I grew up watching Richard Burton play King Henry VIII in Anne of the Thousand Days? So in hating that casting choice, I went to Showtime's website for the show to see who else was in it and I'm bored with the entire cast list. I don't need to watch a bunch of pretty actors probably botch a complex, fascinating period in English history. HBO already kicked your ass a year ago with Helen Mirren as Elizabeth I.

Reason the Second:

We cancelled our cable last Monday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is only one of many reason I hold your wit and taste is esteem. Your pure middle finger outrage over the casting is reason # 506 of why I like Katai.

kiva

David Morris said...

hey, i didn't know you were fluent in Anne of 1000 Days. D'Anna and I have a bit of a history with that movie.

kerry said...

I am outraged that you hate JRM. Have you not SEEN Velvet Goldmine?! The man is a god. No, he is half cat, half man-god. No, he is one third cat, one third man-god, and one third the gayest gay man ever to sashay into Gaytown.

Go ahead, insult "The Tudors" all you like. I stand behind that (what a LAME show!!) But you mess with my gay cat-man-god, you mess with me, Katai.

Oh, and Bend it Like Beckham?! Helloooo! HOT!

Chris Kelly said...

i disagree with both you AND kerry.

i think JRM is ugly. i think people think he's hot, but when you look really close, he's not. and he's got a scar on his lip that should also be hot but is instead remniscent of a harelip to me.

and also "matchpoint" is a great movie.

also, how are you, lindsay katai, living without cable?

Lindsay Evelyn said...

To David - yes, I love Anne of 1000 Days. Now we can bond more!

To Kerry - I am so, so sorry for how very, very wrong you are. Except about the JRM looking like the queen of gaytown. Other than that - WRONG.

To Chris - You were so close to being the perfect friend. But I guess that is an arena for the gods only.

To Kiva - Congratulations on being a god.