Thursday, December 07, 2006

Books Glorious Books

Date I started my new job:
11/13

Date today:
12/07

Total Days Worked:
16 and 1/2 (the half day being the day before Thanksgiving)

Books Read At Work Pre-Laptop Death (11/13 - 11/27, 7 and 1/2 days of work):

- Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Shopgirl by Steve Martin

Books Read At Work Post-Laptop Death (11/28 - today, 9 days of work)

- Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2006 by Various. This year's was especially entertaining as it had things like an excerpt from The Daily Show, excerpts from the movie Me and You and Everyone We Know, the Best Things Known About Chuck Norris, and the Best Facts About Hobos from the book The Areas of My Expertise.
- The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- The Hobbit by Tolkien (who I am apparently on a last name basis with)
- 1/4 of The Fellowship of the Ring also, obviously, by Tolkien (I stopped because I was getting a little burnt out on Middle Earth)
- The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia
- Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (stage play, pretty short and quick, was a nice trip down memory lane)
- The Bible, Genesis 1-17 (I stopped short of God taking out Sodom and Gomorrah and will have to return to it another time, probably in very small chunks now and again, as I find God to be completely out of His gourd)
- The first part of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (got restless, will have to return to it another time)
- And I'm currently 1/4 through The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Like I said: best job ever. I'm almost glad my laptop died. Almost.

I should say, I hope this isn't coming off as bragging. I merely want to stress how many books I am able to finish when I have nine hours each weekday in which it is literally my only option in occupying my time. I could either read or I could stare at the phone until it rings, which is hardly ever. I suppose that walking in very small circles behind my desk is also an option, but one I prefer to hold off on until I get particularly antsy.

10 comments:

Hava said...

Wow. Most of them are book I've bought and am planning to read. Awesome. Go Lindsay!

Hava said...

*books

Everyday K said...

"Everything Is Illuminated" is the best book I've read in the past five years (and that's a lot... I was an english major...)

Miles said...

It's amazing how love-him-or-hate-him Foer seems to be. I loved Illuminated, and frickin' adored Extremely Loud, but a lot of people seem to find the guy an annoyingly pretentious piece of crap.

Reading The Long Goodbye started me drinking gimlets. When you are done, we should have gimlets together!

Cari said...

I love Kavalier and Clay. Did you know Michael Chabon is a UCI grad? Somehow that makes the book even better to me.

Anonymous said...

that sounds lovely! however, do you find yourself incredibly annoyed when the phone actually does ring? like "who would dare interrupt my previously uninterrupted 9 hours of reading time??!" that's how i used to feel at the barclay. hooray for slow jobs which enlighten our minds! (and because you got through the first 1/4 of LOTR, here's a dorky moment for you- i named my new cat Mrs Bombadil- after that delightful minor character you never see again in the series)

-maggie

Everyday K said...

Actually, I meant "Extermely Loud and Incredibly Close," not "Illuminated."
I'm an idiot.

Barrie said...

what exactly IS your job again?

Lilan said...

ooh! Did you like Lord of The Flies?

AND HAVE YOU READ WATERSHIP DOWN, THE BOOK EVERYONE SHOULD READ!?

sorry, I didn't mean to yell...

Cari said...

katai...i just found this picture on gofugyourself.com and even though it's probably insulting that the site is about badly dressed people it really looks JUST LIKE YOU and i had to show you anyway. i don't think you're badly dressed. i just think you look identical to this lady:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/gofugyourself/GFY112005/56329412.jpg

if that doesn't work, go here (http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/2005/12/fuggedy.html) and check it out.